Wednesday, January 8, 2014

"The Devil Wears Prada" - By Lauren Weisberger

The Devil Wears Prada was pleasantly surprising, I have to say.

I didn't really know what to expect. I'd seen the movie plenty of times before, so I guess I was expecting to read the movie.

If somehow you don't know, The Devil Wears Prada is a story about a girl named Andy Sachs, who takes the job as an assistant to the high-profile, Miranda Priestly, editor of Runway, a fashion magazine. Andy knows nothing about fashion, and doesn't care. She sees the job as a ticket to get into any magazine or publication of her choice, and that's what's important to her.

What she doesn't know is that "the job a million girls would die for" might just kill her in the process.


What I loved about the book was the format. It feels like you're reading a journal or a documentary, and I thought that was a nice twist. Who doesn't want to read someone else's journal?

VIOLENCE/GORE: There really isn't any violence or gore in this chicklit. Nothing that can stand out as inappropriate to the story.

LOVE/SEX: This is where I was weary when I first started the book. But I'm very, very pleased to say that there are no sex scenes in this book. However, that being said, there are quite a few references.

Andy's best friend Lilly is very big on the partying-it-up and living-while-you're-young, even when it's taken to an extreme. So a lot of the sexual references or close to sex scenes, is from Andy seeing what her lost friend has gotten herself into.

There are also gay men who don't mind speaking openly about their interests. 

DRUGS/ALCOHOL: Again, back to Lilly, Andy's best friend, the same applies here. Alcohol isn't seen in a negative way at all. Andy isn't opposed to having a little too much either.

Anyway, I'm glad I read it. I can see how it made the best sellers list just from it's originality. From a writer's standpoint, I love how the author was able to create this entire world out of fiction that feels real. It's also very different from the movie, so don't let that deter you from reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment